VisionCanadian Rocky Mountain way of life shared and appreciated.
Building stronger self-esteem, families, community and beyond in the Canadian Rockies.
Mountain HistoryThe mountain people's way of life is worth preserving.
Keeping traditions, history and culture alive.
Traditions of the Rockies
Preserving traditional knowledge, culture and history.
A unique mountain culture & historyHistorical Research
Preserving historical information and stories.
The Willmore Wilderness Foundation strives to preserve the traditions, history and culture of the region, the infrastructure of Willmore Wilderness Park and to educate the public about this area of the Rockies.
The Foundation focuses on historical research that preserves the history of the opening of Canada. The organization offers educational programs and services, provides youth mentoring programs, as well as health and wellness programs which focus on the culture and traditions of the Rockies. The Foundation restores historical pack trails and sites, promotes tourism and enhances the use of Willmore Wilderness Park for Albertans and visitors alike.
Goals of the Foundation:
- To foster understanding of the mountain community’s roots.
- To keep alive the traditional skills, which are used to survive in the mountains.
- To discover, document and preserve the stories of this region, using written, film and digital formats.
- To produce documentaries that focus on traditional knowledge and landscapes of Alberta’s eastern slopes through People & Peaks Productions, which is owned and operated by the Willmore Wilderness Foundation.
- To focus on historical research that preserves the history of opening of Canada.
- To provide educational programs and services on Willmore Wilderness Park.
- To provide health and wellness programs that focus on the culture and traditions of the Canadian Rockies.
- To provide community and youth development programs that focus on the culture and traditions of the Canadian Rockies.
- To restore traditional pack trails in the Park that were used by Indigenous people, trappers, guides, and outfitters.
- To promotes tourism and economic development and enhance the use of Willmore Wilderness Park for Albertans and visitors alike.
- To find, preserve, and record through GPS the location of historical buildings, graves, campsites, and other historical site
- To protect the land’s native vegetation from noxious weeds.
People & Peaks Productions
People & Peaks Productions Ltd is a company owned and operated by the Willmore Wilderness Foundation. The production company creates documentaries that focus on traditional knowledge and landscapes of Alberta’s eastern slopes. Powerful stories are set in the outstanding scenery of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.