Willmore Wilderness Park
Willmore Wilderness Park is located directly north of Jasper National Park, and its western boundary follows the Great Continental Divide. The is area is an untouched alpine frontier. The park is 4,597 square kilometres of pristine wilderness, which has traditionally been hunted, trapped and accessed by horseback.
Willmore Wilderness Foundation
The Willmore Wilderness Foundation recognized that there was very little information about this mountain region and is endeavouring to provide more information on Alberta’s ‘best kept secret.’
As the years passed and changes came to the eastern slopes of the Rockies, there was very little written material on Willmore Wilderness Park and region. It became apparent that there were few opportunities for the mountain people to share their stories, traditions, and culture; and there was very limited knowledge in the public domain of the tremendous history in the region.
- The Foundation is the Steward of Willmore Wilderness Park, and looks after the trail network.
- The Foundation creates awareness of the region’s unique mountain culture through books, film and multimedia.
- The Foundation supports traditional businesses with Alberta Rockies Adventures.
- The Foundation actively researches the history of the region.
- The Foundation is a voice for the mountain community.